When You Think Your Spouse is Having an Affair
As an online writer, I look for frequently searched keywords and phrases so that my articles are more likely to be seen on Google's search results. When researching phrases for coping with cheating spouses, I was shocked to learn that there are a few thousand monthly searches for surviving an affair, but nearly a hundred thousand searches on how to have one!
Looking deeper, I found that there are also just a few thousand searches each month for topics relating to how to hire a private detective or investigator, but many thousands of people offering their detective services for pay.
If you think your spouse is cheating, hiring a private eye will only be as good as the detective's skills. It's truly one of those areas where you get what you pay for. An investigator may have many contacts that will provide sensitive data, or could be relying on public information and stakeouts, which proves costly for his or her clients and doesn't produce great results.
Before you hire someone to spy on your spouse, do some footwork of your own with these tips and tools. You'll be able to save time and money, and you will get to the bottom of things quickly and effectively.
Have You Had a Partner that Cheated on You Before?
See results without voting
Signs that Your Spouse is Cheating
Maybe your gut's telling you something is wrong, but you can't quite put your finger on it. You don't want to make unfair accusations or ask questions that imply you don't trust your partner if they're not doing something wrong since that can hurt your relationship. If, after taking a look at these signs, you discover that you do have sound reason to suspect an affair, you may still want to avoid asking questions temporarily.
If your partner thinks you're suspicious, they may make it harder to discover what's really happening. In my opinion, it's better to investigate first and ask questions later. If you discover they aren't having an affair, your spouse won't feel resentful long after you've dropped the subject if they never knew you wondered about the possibility.
Signs to look for:
What do you think about snooping or spying on a spouse?
See results without voting
How to Snoop - Or Investigate - Discreetly
Sometimes a few easy steps can uncover a spouse's affair. Then again, some people cover their tracks very well, either to protect their own reputation or others' feelings. (I know, if they really cared about someone's feelings, they wouldn't be having an affair in the first place!)
Before we start looking at investigative steps you can take, I want to talk to you about the idea of snooping. Some people take great offense at the idea of snooping. They claim it's a breach of trust, and they're right about that. "If you don't trust your guy or girl, just leave," they'll say.
Their advice is not necessarily practical. You probably realize this or you wouldn't have read this far. You might be worried about an affair because you've seen indications that something has gone wrong with your relationship and you want to set things right again. Maybe you think your partner's preparing to have an affair, but if it hasn't happened yet, you'd like to know how to get your relationship back on track before it happens.
Another reason people fear affairs is their own insecurity. If you're insecure and your partner has not given you reasons to be suspicious, it may be tempting to use these methods to reassure yourself at first, but doing so often leads to compulsive behaviors. You may find yourself unable to resist checking up on your partner, and in doing so, you'll eventually be discovered and it can destroy your relationship even if your partner has done nothing wrong at all! I don't suggest using these methods to address insecurity when there aren't at least two of the signs of cheating discussed earlier.
Ok, back to business....
10 Easy, Low-Tech Investigative Techniques
For some of these methods, you will need to obtain passwords from your partner or bypass security controls on his or her cell phone or computer. If you bypass security codes, you could be on the hook for illegal activity depending on the laws in your state, so you should become familiar with what the law does and doesn't allow you to do, or avoid getting discovered.
1. Look over the information you can find on your partner's cell phone. Do you see frequent calls to or from an unfamiliar number? Do you see calls identified as someone you know calling much more often than they used to? Cheaters may assign a man's name to his mistress's number to mask her identity or vice versa. Write down any numbers you don't recognize and run them through several search engines to see if it hits upon any useful information.
2. Examine text messages. Frequent texting may also be shown on your cell phone bill. Some companies provide more thorough information than others, and some require you to make a request to see what numbers sent and received text from a phone on your account. Either way, reviewing your cell phone bill periodically will instantly reveal if your partner's been texting dozens of messages a day to another number. Another important piece of information that's easier to see on your cell phone bill than the phone (though it can be there, too) is call duration. Is she spending two hours on the phone with a certain number?
3. Look at photos stored on the phone.
4. Look for cell phone applications like Tiger Text and Stocks, which are described in the links "How Your Spouse is Getting Away with Cheating!" and
"7 Apps You Don't Want Your Man to Have." (You don't want your woman having 'em either!)
5. Use the free "Find my Phone" app available for iPhone users to track all the phones on your account. This doesn't require access to your partner's cell phone or his consent, but it does require that both the phone you're using with the application and the phone that's being tracked are on the same account.
6. You can install a keystroke logger on your spouse's computer. These software programs are difficult to detect, but you should also know that it may be illegal to use key-loggers. There are restrictions about who can and cannot use them, when, and why. You may violate federal wiretapping laws if these restrictions aren't followed. If you go this route and your spouse discovers how you obtained your information, you could face jail time if you haven't followed the strict limitations. If you meet the requirements and install this software, it can send e-mails and screenshots to an e-mail address that you specify.
7. Get access to your partner's computer and access his or her e-mail and social media accounts. If there's a chat program installed, look for chat histories. Check the deleted and trash folders (they're not always the same) to see what has been removed. Review the Sent Messages folder to see what your partner has sent to other people.
9. Check your partner's browser history and cookies. If they have been deleted, check again in a few days. If they've again been deleted, be concerned.
10. For a fee, you can hack your spouse's cell phone and get real-time or historic location data, text messages, e-mail contents, and more by downloading apps of your own. A simple internet search for spy applications will reveal a number of applications with varying costs, ease of use, and features. The programs take several minutes to install and are not easily detected on the target's phone. For an overview of how these aps work, watch this video. (I do not endorse any specific company or website for this purpose, including the one responsible for the video.)
Bonus Investigative Tip - Retrieve Deleted Texts
If you need to retrieve deleted texts from a cell phone, follow these instructions
from the computer that your spouse uses to synchronize his or her phone. It will only provide texts sent between the two most recent syncs, but that may be enough, especially if they don't synchronize very often.
More by this Author
My husband has changed his phone number, and email address. How do I get that information for free?
jellygator 2 weeks ago
If you are still married, you may have a legal right to access his phone account. I am not so sure about e-mail, though. Some of the keystroke loggers and spyware install if you can disguise them as a legitimate link and he opens it. However, this is illegal (it violates wiretapping laws) in general, so it may be important to get legal advice before attempting something like this. To be honest, though, why bother? If he's going so far to protect his information, that's all you really need to know!
I have been chatting online through Yahoo messenger with a guy now over a year. he showed interest to see me and I wanted to meet with him too. However now after one year he is not revealing his identity and does not come forward to meet me, but he still keep chatting with me and says that he likes me and wants to be with me. what I have from him 6 photos and his id on yahoo messenger and an email address, how ever as i have tried to send him an email to both his yahoo email through yahoo messenger and his other email both bounced which is actually strange' because we still chat through yahoo which was set up with that particular email address?! I was hoping to find his IP address and his physical location , but his security system blocks my emails, I brought that up to him but he says he has no idea why this happens , he said this is his true email address? could you help me to locate him or get some information about him, just to have a clear mind and make sure he is the person in his pictures.
I am afraid I don't get involved directly with other people's situations. To be honest, I find myself thinking, "If this guy hasn't made it a point to meet with you after a YEAR, he's not acting like he's very interested!" But if you can't accept that he's clearly filling his time with other interests, my suggestion would be to get his name and do a background search and Facebook search on it.
well thanks for reply...but it was not much of help...my question was how strange is if I can chat with the same id on yahoo messenger but not being able to send an e-mail to the same user? but I guess you are not too computer technical. anyway I think men are strange in many ways and also he is not on face book etc. if it was that easy I would already done so....
Yes, I didn't quite understand that to be your question. You're right... I am not personally familiar with Yahoo Messenger at all. Are you sure he's not on FB under a name you don't know? He sounds pretty secretive to me.
I appreciate your stopping by, Jimmy, but I had to delete your comment! What you suggested is illegal in the U.S. and you provided personally identifiable information. Sorry!
The big clues I got were trips less than a block that took an hour to complete, whispers while on the phone etc. My SO was not very clever, that is the bottom line. LOL
Sounds like you were smart enough to trust your eyes, too! So many of us don't do that. We think we "need proof" when what we see should be proof enough!
Sia184 United Kingdom
Getting cheated on is the worst feeling ever!
jellygator 19 months ago from USAAuthor
It is certainly one of the worst, that's for sure!
Sign in or sign up and post using a HubPages Network account.
No HTML is allowed in comments, but URLs will be hyperlinked. Comments are not for promoting your articles or other sites.
Anthony Bryan joined MI5 in the early 70s and operated in the UK, Ireland, and the Middle East, before being seconded to MI6 to work with the CIA in the USA during the War on Drugs. He now lives between homes in London, Paris and Manila and runs a successful Private Detective & Corporate Intelligence Agency, Anthony Bryan Corporate Intelligence and Investigations..
Getting Out by Anthony Bryan available on Amazon https://t.co/JqMo0HZ2vF pic.twitter.com/FfE7t9zfjj— Honey Trap Detective (@honeytrapuk) April 23, 2016